There is an annual event that we attend for the Families Run for Ovarian Cancer. It's a 5k that goes through Forest Park. I've run more than a handful of 5ks and this one is by far the most difficult course I've done. St. Louis is far hillier than people give it credit for...well except for the people who live on "The Hill." They probably knew it was hilly...anyway, I digress. We went with all of the kids to Forest Park on Sunday morning to meet up with Team Tracie and Teal We Find a Cure. I ran it the past two years, so this was my third go at it. Dustin ran it last year for the first time. This year was my mom's first official 5k race. We had a large group who attended in Tracie's memory. What a great way to remember her and raise money for the silent killer that is Ovarian Cancer.
The theme was "Rock," so at corners throughout the race there were stars such as: Elvis, ZZ Top, and the Beatles. After the race there were bounce houses, beer, food, and raffle prizes and baskets. We had a lot of fun, but it was also bittersweet to remember just a year and a half ago when Tracie was there with us. I can tell you from experience that it is difficult to run when you get a little "verklempt." There were quotes along the race route, and one in particular got to me, "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost.
I finished the race in pretty good time, just seconds behind Dustin and Sarah and seconds before Daniel, PD, and a few minutes before Mom. I look forward to running again next year and bringing attention to this particular cancer that has become close to our hearts.
Will I ever catch up?!?
11 years ago





1 comment:
Way to go! What a wonderful way to honor your loved one. I know she was smiling down on you all. (And probably laughing at the hills!)
Post a Comment